Life and Times at Cranberry Lake

This blog is about the life, wild and otherwise, in this immediate area of Northeast Pennsylvania. I hope you can join me and hopefully realize and value that common bond we share with all living things... from the insect, spider, to the birds and the bears... as well as that part of our spirit that wishes to be wild and free.

Monday, September 24, 2007

Chapter 22 (Animals I’ve Known and Loved, cont.)

Kiyoodle’s appetite gets the best of him:

Back then, I don’t know why, but, I never gave leash laws a second thought. I felt sorry for dogs that were tied and would have had a problem giving Kiyoodle all the exercise he needed if I made him wait until I had time to walk him. It usually worked out fine, because, if the children in the neighborhood had any dog at all, it was usually a small lap dog variety, nothing that they could romp and roughhouse with outside.

But Kiyoodle couldn’t pass up food--whether it was on a plate or in the trash. So when a neighbor called me about Ki’ getting into their trash, I told her not to touch a thing, I would be down with the dog and pick it up. I did so, bawling out Kiyoodle, telling him what a bad dog he was. He no longer got into their garbage, so I figured he learned his lesson.

One day a different neighbor drove into our driveway, stepped out of his car, and asked us if that Weimaraner was our dog! When we said yes, and asked why, he stated that they had a 10 pound pot roast cooling out on a stump on their lawn, and our dog came along, and not only ate the whole thing, but lapped up the gravy as well. I looked severely at Kiyoodle, who looked nonchalant about the whole thing. He new he hadn’t gotten into garbage. His belly was so swollen, that if he had been a she, one would think her pregnant. Al apologized and gave the person $20.00 (quite a sum for a 10 pound roast back in 1964).

I was so angry and embarrassed about Kiyoodle that I marched him to the house where the theft took place. I guess I impressed these people…telling Ki’ what a bad dog he was. I had asked them to get the empty pot. I showed it to Ki’ and bawled him out thoroughly. The neighbors ended up giving me $10 of the money back.

Kiyoodle’s epitome of how far he’d go for food could be proven one day on the back porch. An ant was carrying a huge crumb for his size. As the ant crossed the porch, I said, “Ki, look at that crumb!” He nosed after the ant, and gently lifted it’s load, leaving the insect unharmed, and ate the crumb!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home