Life and Times at Cranberry Lake

This blog is about the life, wild and otherwise, in this immediate area of Northeast Pennsylvania. I hope you can join me and hopefully realize and value that common bond we share with all living things... from the insect, spider, to the birds and the bears... as well as that part of our spirit that wishes to be wild and free.

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Today is so icy even the dogs don't want to be out in... or should I say on it. The freezing rain is just making them wet, and although they have natural "ice walkers" on their toes, Bear's are so worn down the don't help, but his young exuberance doesn't make this a spoiler. He's finally OUT with MOM! Something he usually has to beg for all morning long... though we got back at noon anyway. Polly's front paws point out in a coy Basset hound fashion... no good for grabbing the ice.

We started late, so Bear probably thinks it's morning, as he didn't scold me for leaving so late--he usually barks at me as if to say, "IT'S ABOUT TIME, and other choice words... probably "dog swears." While Bear is hopping around ignoring the slippery ice even if one or another foot slips in the process, Polly was the one following my trail with my heavy boots and ice walkers where my cracking the icy surface helping her footing. On the way back... down the hill... the last lap being the most precarious for her--she doesn't like to slip, and is very conscious of anything that can injure her and avoids it to a fault. She spots an old telephone pole laying on the edge of the field on our downhill slope (covered with black ice). Tom had brought in for lining some garden that never came to be or something of that sort. Polly has no trouble balancing on logs and sees that as an easy way to save a few icy steps... "No Polly!" It's too late, and she puts on a clownish ice dancing show for less than two long seconds before slipping off, and I laugh. She just goes on in her dignified way. She was glad to get home. With the ice walkers and a heavy jacket, I was fine, but it was a glum and dreary day. It's still good to get out and clear my head... both literally and mentally. One of my New Year's Resolutions will be to take a walk first thing. For me it's the best therapy.

Good Luck to everyone in 2009

Cranberry Jo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home