Life and Times at Cranberry Lake

This blog is about the life, wild and otherwise, in this immediate area of Northeast Pennsylvania. I hope you can join me and hopefully realize and value that common bond we share with all living things... from the insect, spider, to the birds and the bears... as well as that part of our spirit that wishes to be wild and free.

Sunday, April 26, 2015

The Telescope at the Cottage on Swans Island

That summer vacation on Swans Island, Maine, part of the huge building/cottage we stayed in was once a hardware store.  Inside the store it looked like a mann's typical cellar tool shop, though this was on the level with the land.  Whenever it had shut down, it still had so many tools, nails, screws, as well as shoe polish and just about anything a general hardware store had, whenever we had such a need, we would go there for something to hammer, saw, polish, etc.

In a nook underneath a stairs, I found an old telescope.  It was the most magnificent telescope I ever held, and from its age and size, I usually lay down with my back against something, propped it on my knees, and looked out into Bar Harbor, able to recognize a fisherman's boat from a mile away.

It must have really took my imagination away, as back home when I dreamed of Swans Island, I once dreamt that I could see up and over... like a modern day drone.  It's the only implement I ever handled that to me was magical.  At the end of our vacation, I never was so tempted to take it with me, and actually longed for it after, wondering if anyone would have even missed it, as it was so hidden in the piles of leftover hardware goods in that old shop.





I also added the picture of the sand shark I caught that summer with my brother Jerry's help when we rowed out to a friends lobster boat and fished using the line from a spool bought at a nearby shop for about 15c back then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home