Life and Times at Cranberry Lake

This blog is about the life, wild and otherwise, in this immediate area of Northeast Pennsylvania. I hope you can join me and hopefully realize and value that common bond we share with all living things... from the insect, spider, to the birds and the bears... as well as that part of our spirit that wishes to be wild and free.

Sunday, July 26, 2009

POST MENOPAUSAL FROG

Wikipedia states the metaphor of the frog placed in water and slowly heated up to boiling... supposedly boiling to death without realizing it, is a "story is often used as a metaphor for the inability of people to react to important changes that occur gradually." But I'm about to blow the theory behind the metaphor. This morning when I was comfortably riding in the slightly air conditioned car, suddenly I had to turn the fan on high. It was urgent. I've felt this way before if standing in the sunshine on a hot day when suddenly I'll go from feeling comfortable to the feeling "I'M BOILING TO DEATH"... Which was the feeling I got this morning. I then told my husband how I now know that if you tried out that theory with a frog, when the frog got to the temperature in which it would feel just as I do during a "hot flash," it would do everything in its power to jump out of the water.

I'm blogging this because I think everyone who has experienced hot flashes would agree. When a woman has a hot flash, it's not just the feeling one gets when taking cookies out of the oven... We feel like the oven, and we feel a threatening need to cool off fast. So use another metaphor, believe me, that frog would hit the temperature I felt this morning. Now maybe any man who reads this will understand what we go through... And why the post-menopausal woman is more interested than anyone to stop Global Warming.

"Ribbit!!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home