Life and Times at Cranberry Lake

This blog is about the life, wild and otherwise, in this immediate area of Northeast Pennsylvania. I hope you can join me and hopefully realize and value that common bond we share with all living things... from the insect, spider, to the birds and the bears... as well as that part of our spirit that wishes to be wild and free.

Saturday, May 16, 2009

THE MYSTERY OF THE FAT CAN






Polly was out back licking the outside of this. When I took whatever from her, I realized it was a fat can. She didn't like that I took her prize from her. I brought it in to Tom it was because I wondered what the heck the holes were from and how one of the holes was peeled up inward. He said it didn't appear to be one we used. When we want to trash ours we put it in the freezer, and put it in the trash on the day of trash collection. Tom said it looked like target practice on a fat can. But, I think it was taken from a neighbor's rubbish by a bear... probably the same one we think got into our trash without much luck as we freeze anything biodegradable... but, nevertheless, there were signs of a bear having gone through the area about one or two weeks ago. Tom didn't think it would put holes of this sort into a can. I think it did. His fangs are longer than the other teeth, and there was a dent about that distant on the other side of the can parallel to the round hole. I think he grabbed the can, squeezing it so he couldn't get his tongue in all the way. Then tried chewing and ripping the can peeling up a roll of tin like a key wound on a canned ham, and not having much luck, dropped it and looked for something better, forgetting about the can, and eventually, Polly found it.

I love these suburban mysteries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home