Life and Times at Cranberry Lake

This blog is about the life, wild and otherwise, in this immediate area of Northeast Pennsylvania. I hope you can join me and hopefully realize and value that common bond we share with all living things... from the insect, spider, to the birds and the bears... as well as that part of our spirit that wishes to be wild and free.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

ALPHA MALES DON'T WEAR BOOTIES:



THE ALPHA MALE IN WINTER

When we brought our funny little English Cocker Spaniel into our family, in his own puppy way he let all persons and beasts know he was the Alpha male... and that he has remained. It's like he said to us, "Hello, I'm Alpha Male." And we said, "We're going to call you Bear!" And he said, "Good name for an alpha male. I'll take it!" He's never feared me, but if anything happens to upset me, he's the first to be concerned. One time when I was so upset because I erroneously thought a close friend had died... as she was so expecting to die soon she was going on to hospice, but because of a mixup I thought she hadn't made it. I bawled out loud... something I NEVER had done in front of the dogs. Bear was so concerned and gentle, he made valuable points that day. So, alphas have their good points.

Well, his Alpha rank means he MUST stay ahead of everyone, and he usually does. I was talking with a girlfriend about cross country skiing and she said how her dog used to step on the backs of her skis any time she went skiing. I said I was surprised, as my dogs learned early... they don't like that feeling of the ski moving under their feet. But today, I realized that the only reason Bear doesn't do that is because he's always ahead, or battling to get ahead... To be the LEAD.

I've taken them for three short walks today first up the path/hill to the hedgerow and back; the secondd walk was along the middle trail along the hillside, returning on the upper trail; and this evening, we went up to the hedgerow, then into the field, walking parallel to the hedgerow's end, then back through the hedgerow, then down the ATV path. The walks have been short so the dogs won't get frostbite on their paws with this extreme cold. Bear won't bite at his paws if he's carrying a stick, and he had carried a very difficult one to get at. You see, it has to be a challenge. He held on to this stick as we were going through the hedgerow, and I felt pressure on my skis... then there is a brace against the back of one of my knees, as he is stuck between a bush and myself, and needed to pass.

I realized then the only reason he doesn't think anything about stepping on the skis, but doesn't do it because he's usually always ahead of me. Now I have enough paths so if he stops to de-ice his paws, I can choose a different trail, and that I did going down the hill today... a good thing too, as he couldn't wait until he got home to stop and chew. I snow-plowed down the ATV trail, and went around the coop to see how the one chicken is doing.

Cross Beak is in a well insulated coop... meaning all seams and spaces where air can get through are stuffed with plastic bags--a great way to recycle them... no drafts. But she's lonely. I think she semi hibernates, as she sleeps most of the time, and when offered doesn't seem to care for her meat supplement, which I think is normal, as chickens can't find worms and insects in the winter anyway, so it's off their diet for the season. They are lethargic with the season and expend very little energy. I have the coop wired, so she has her heated water dish [with a flat rock taking up much of it as I've had mice and little birds needlessly drown in the water when it's opened during the day when the temperature is a little warmer]. With this really cold weather, I've put in a red brooder bulb in the light socket. It really seems to warm up the place enough so she is comfortable. I added up the KWHs cost, and for me it's worth the small amount to have her comfortable all alone in the coop.

Anyhow, today I thought she'd been penned up too long, so I took off my skis and went in to see her... I unzipped my jacket, tucked her inside loosely just holding her with the jacket hanging over her and took her across the yard to see the cows. ... Just to get outside and get a little fresh air... wondering if they suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder... Animals probably do... and probably that's why they hibernate. I wouldn't be surprised if the caveman didn't semi-hibernate for most of the winter, just taking turns to keep the fire going, but spending most of the dark and cold winter days under furs... sleeping. Returning CrossBeak to her coop, I then got the dogs back into the house before their feet could freeze... And give the dogs a bone... making sure Bear get the first one... Alpha's have to be first in EVERYTHING.



3 Comments:

  • At 9:03 PM, Blogger Jim J. said…

    Good blog, I liked the pictures - both digital and mental.

     
  • At 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Since Bear always takes the lead when you're cross-country skiing, maybe you could train him for ski-joring (not sure if that's spelled right). Basically it's like dogsledding, only they pull you when you're on skis rather than pulling a sled...

    If Cross Beak is too cold, perhaps some sort of "reflective heating" would be helpful. I've seen these pads in pet shops that go in the cat or dog bed, and they reflect the animal's body heat back to them. Got one for my elderly cat and she really seemed to enjoy it.

     
  • At 3:10 PM, Blogger Cranberry Jo said…

    To BBHuey: Don't tell my husband, but on the cold nights I've put on a warming light. Whereas it has been pretty well insulated, it keeps the edge off my little hen's cold and lonely environment. If I personally had to pay the difference on the elec. bill, it still would be worth it. She's a pet. Maybe I'll set something up inside in the laundry room downstairs if she's still alone next winter. I'll have to delouse her first. Ugh.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home