Life and Times at Cranberry Lake

This blog is about the life, wild and otherwise, in this immediate area of Northeast Pennsylvania. I hope you can join me and hopefully realize and value that common bond we share with all living things... from the insect, spider, to the birds and the bears... as well as that part of our spirit that wishes to be wild and free.

Monday, September 24, 2012

MOM, GO TAKE A WALK!

This is a new blog... about old thoughts.

I think I mentioned before as to how I had an incorrigible dog--a German shepherd called Claude--who wanted to be King of the World, and therefore was a danger to be on the loose... So, I had to take him on walks to give him exercise.  I don't think I ever really got into the habit or routine of going on walks as a daily exercise until then.  I've always debated with myself whenever I even thought of the word discipline. I knew it was good for me to exercise in some way, but every time I took up an exercise for improving my health, I'd reject my own self-discipline--I just wouldn't stick to it.  I think I thought life more interesting if I just played it by ear and did whatever I wanted whenever I wanted to do it.  The rest--the stuff I had to do at home--to me was self discipline enough, though it was the "necessity of having to do it" more than what my "self" wanted to do.

The necessity of taking that combative dog, Claude, for a walk in order that he got exercise, gave me a routine that has helped me considerably throughout my life since.

My children were growing up but all at home at that time.  My eldest, August, was august, like his name and, though quiet, when he did talk he was inspiring at times.  But as his mother, I wasn't going to let on that he had power over what I chose to do myself.  These walks had become one of the best therapies for bad moods... I could see that in my daughter Jo, who, when very young, but old enough so I could trust her not to go far when she would be "running away from home." When she got so angry with me that she'd "run away," she'd to come back after awhile with wildflowers in hand, and give them to me, but with no apologies, as she'd completely forgotten the anger that drove her to take a walk outdoors.  Like that, I hadn't realized what effect my anger or irritation had on my home life until one day when I was so irritated that I was difficult to live with and August said, "Mom, you should go and take a walk.  You always come back from a walk in a good mood."

As I said, I wasn't going to admit that he had a point, but I realized that taking a walk gave my emotions a rest, and the inspiration I got from my walks gave me a feeling of being in touch with God and the life force.  All my problems were either solvable or diminished by simply taking a walk.

"Thank you, August.  I've never forgotten your insight, reflecting back to me how much I needed that simple exercise... maybe not for my body as much as for my disposition--my mind, emotions and spirit."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home