Life and Times at Cranberry Lake

This blog is about the life, wild and otherwise, in this immediate area of Northeast Pennsylvania. I hope you can join me and hopefully realize and value that common bond we share with all living things... from the insect, spider, to the birds and the bears... as well as that part of our spirit that wishes to be wild and free.

Friday, May 07, 2010

Why I Don't Like Magnolias

Spring bursts its buds
and color reigns in
Crocus; tulips; and
Magnolias

After a week
These flowers shrug
their petaled clothes.

... Tulips and Croci
leave them on their beds,
While Magnolias toss them
on the ground
For Mother Nature to
Clean-up...
Knowing very well
That Mom N. is old
And it hurts to
bend her knees.

SO, Mrs. Nature
... just ... lets ... them
... Sit in the Sun,
Hoping a lawnmower
Will swoop them up.

BUT...
Instead, they wither
and brown...
Looking like trash
that escaped the bags
on pick-up day.
----
NOTE:
[I thought I'd share the above--my first entry of 2010--written in my "Gardener's Notebook" given to me by my stepdaughter, Trese, back in Spring of 1998. When inspired by the Nature of the season and growing things I'll write an entry - sometimes several in a year - prose or poem... or skip a year, and then be inspired by just heard news of something growing - a pregnancy of a new grandchild; or the crazy spring of 2002--much like this year's spring; or the wettest July 2003 in PA in 40 years; ... a question to a grandchild, Carly when 3 yrs. old, spring of '05, about what kind of flower (a violet was), "A PURPLE!" she responded. Bits and pieces throughout the years.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home