Life and Times at Cranberry Lake

This blog is about the life, wild and otherwise, in this immediate area of Northeast Pennsylvania. I hope you can join me and hopefully realize and value that common bond we share with all living things... from the insect, spider, to the birds and the bears... as well as that part of our spirit that wishes to be wild and free.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A LOG ON MY TRAIL

Last week there really was a "log on my trail." But, if I remember to do so, I thought I'd check in with my few readers by writing a log of my walk in the woods right after I return from a walk and am still inspired by whatever wonder of the day, and maybe transport you on a quiet get-away from the hustle bustle of the world.

Today is a nice sunny comfortably warm dry fall day. A good day to do a little work on my middle trail, so I took fallen log-an ash dead stand-which had cracked into manageable pieces, and shifted a piece that fell against the edge so it lay along the trail, to give the path more support. I had taken my small "ladies" pick-ax, using it to level the trail. The slant hurts Tom's ankles... his only complaint, as he likes the work I've done in the woods to make comfortable trails on which we usually take a morning walk together. We have some old plastic Adirondack chairs at points along the trail for resting and meditating, or simply for listening to the birds or enjoying the view.

I have 3 trails up to the lake, 2 of them merge at the old oak tree that fell into the field back in the late '80s. There's a fourth path-Tom's ATV trail. I gave him for Father's Day some year quite long ago, so he wouldn't use my foot paths. Tom took his bush whacker across the field that's gone wild above, and now keeps it nicely mowed.


The first trail we ever had is the one along the edge of the gorge in which the overflow from the lake, Cranberry Run is located. That was also the first trail that got blocked by falling trees, on which I've dug under as well as built over in order to keep up that trail throughout the years. On that one, I had my saw along, as a log that fell last winter blocks it for a safe trail home when cross country skiing, as in avoiding the log, the downhill run is uncontrollable and dangerous. I've started the cut, but sawing a log in two by hand is sometimes a long job, best split into short work days so I don't use up all my energy for the day.

If anyone observed all the work I've done along the trail they would probably say it wasn't worth the effort, as it is always changing, and work has to be redone, but it's a work of love. I love my paths, and it's on those trails that I feel close to nature and God. When I work on them, the spiritual energy I get in return keeps my spirits renewed, and gives me a sense of peace in a world in which I need to be reminded that it is more peaceful than otherwise. Listening to the news, and talking politics may convince us otherwise, and, at that point, we all need a plain path to walk on and observe nature's changes, and how it is more powerful in the end.

So, whether a log down or not, I will share my thoughts, which, hopefully won't be as boring as this 'log' after one of my daily walks in the woods.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home